The nature of call outs has changed greatly over the years. Originally the most common call out was for fallen climbers or people lost in the hills. The role of the mountain rescue team has expanded exponentially since then. Teams are now trained in many disciplines and are expected to attend a variety of incidents. For Coniston our incidents now include such diverse call outs as climbing accidents, searches for lost persons, walking accidents, mountain biking accidents, gorge scrambling accidents, diving accidents and Swift Water Response Team. Mountain Rescue Teams are unique in their ability to respond to multi-faceted call outs, which makes them a very valuable resource.
These unique capabilities come at a high cost. The level and variety of finance required has increased as greatly as the number and diversity of callouts. The servicing and fuelling of the team vehicles. Replacement of equipment that wears out. The cost of equipping a new member, or a newly trained Swift Water Response Technician can reach several hundred pounds. As a charity these costs are met entirely by donations.
Mountain Rescue in the UK is a voluntary organisation. To maintain this valuable community service we rely solely on the support and generosity of the public; without you, we simply could not function, or be there when you might need us most. There are several ways that we raise funds to support the work of mountain rescue.
- Traders hosting a Collecting Box – If you own a shop, pub, or other establishment, you could request a team-collecting box. Our supporters group will empty it at regular intervals.
- Providing marshals for trail and fell races that are organised in our area of operations. The team’s local knowledge is often of great assistance. We have, for example, worked with Lakeland Trails Races for the last several years on their races in the area.
- Businesses sponsoring part of the team’s annual running costs. Could your company help in these costs? Maybe sponsor the team for a day?
- Organisations and clubs holding a sponsored event for the team – we can supply information and display boards – you just donate all profits to the team, with our eternal gratitude.
- Businesses and clubs sponsoring an equipment purchase – Ask what equipment we need and see if you wish to help us purchase a certain item.
- Join the Support Group – and help support the Team. In return, you may assist at non-operational Team events and participate on occasion as an exercise casualty within our busy training programme. More details are available on our Membership page.
- Members of the public helping with collection days – Either offer to come and help us collect, or ask us to come to your office, factory, supermarket or shopping centre to collect.
- Businesses or clubs inviting us to hold a lecture. The team is often asked to provide an insight into the workings of Coniston Mountain Rescue Team including equipment and vehicle demonstrations. “Hands-on” lectures are especially popular with youth organisations, such as the Scouts or school groups. A donation for such presentations and lectures is always gratefully accepted but is not expected (kindness and support of the team come in many ways other than money).
If you would be interested in any of the ideas outlined above and wish to help the team, please contact the Secretary.