Goats Hawse

Incident 44 of 2023:-
07/09/23, 13.16, Goats Hawse, SD 267982
It was a warm but overcast afternoon when Cumbria Police contacted us regarding a gentleman who had taken a fall while starting to descend Goats Hawse towards Goats Water. Initial reports were of a back and arm injury, but unfortunately we weren’t able to get in touch with the casualty party to confirm position and injuries, due to poor phone signal.
We despatched one Land Rover initially with a second vehicle following and because we were relatively low on numbers contacted our colleagues at Duddon & Furness MRT for support. The Air Ambulance was also put on standby given we weren’t sure of the casualty’s injuries. We then received a second call via North West Ambulance Service from someone who had happened on the scene who had phone signal. We were then able to contact them to get an update and confirm exact position.
From the update it was clear that the casualty’s condition was significantly worse than had originally been understood having taken a tumbling fall of around 10 metres, and so Helimed 08 from North West Air Ambulance Service was tasked. On arrival the casualty was clearly quite unwell with a significant head injury and treatment was commenced to stabilise him. Paramedics from H08 took over treatment and soon felt they too needed further support, so Helimed 58 from The Great North Air Ambulance Service was tasked to the scene with Critical Care Doctors on board.
The Casualty was further stabilised and given strong pain relief, his suspected injuries were splinted and then he was packaged in a full body vacuum mattress and placed on a stretcher and carried up the hill to the waiting helicopters at the top of Goats Hawse. He was flown by H08 to the major trauma centre at Preston Royal Infirmary.
We would like to thank our colleagues from Duddon & Furness MRT and of course the two Air Ambulances which attended. We wish the casualty well and hopefully he’ll be back on the hills in due course.